Update on Collective Bargaining with MPCTA (Nov 21)
For many years, Article 16.8 of the collective bargaining agreement (CBA) between Monterey Peninsula College (MPC) and the Monterey Peninsula College Teachers Association (MPCTA) has contained a formula for the adjustment of salary schedules based upon the level and sources of funding received from the State of California. A dispute arose between MPCTA and MPC Article 16.8 in the 2015-16 fiscal year.
On November 21, 2016, representatives from MPC and MPCTA attended the third meeting before a mediator in order to resolve the pending grievance. At the end of the day, the mediator issued a “mediator’s proposal” which was accepted by both MPC and MPCTA as the best possible outcome through mediation, and which both parties agreed to present to their constituents for ratification/adoption.
A copy of the Settlement Agreement is attached to this Update. Essential elements of the settlement include:
- A one-time, off-schedule payment to each unit member in the amount of four percent (4%) of base salary earned in 2015-16;
- An on-schedule increase in the 2016-17 Salary Schedules A, B-1, B-2, C-1, C-2, and the Coaching Pay Schedule, in the amount of 1%, effective July 1, 2016;
- An on-schedule increase in the 2017-18 Salary Schedules A, B-1, B-2, C-1, C-2, and the Coaching Pay Schedule, in the amount of 2%, effective July 1, 2017;
- The formula contained in Article 16.8 will be stricken from the CBA and will not apply in 2016-17 or thereafter, and the pending grievance(s) regarding Article 16.8 are withdrawn with prejudice;
- Bargaining over compensation for 2015-16 is closed, and bargaining for 2016-17, 2017-18 remains open.
See this webpage for a list of all current updates related to MPC's Collective Bargaining.